The ingredients for Mexican Chicken Rice Soup are chicken, brown Rice, tomatoes, onion, and an abundance of garlic. The nourishing chicken and rice soup recipe is one of my favorite recipes and rivals any Mexican chicken rice soup served in restaurants.
This Mexican Chicken Rice broth will be a hit with broth lovers! And if you’re a soup lover, you know we consume soup year-round, regardless of the weather outside. This soup is so luscious and aromatic, and it’s so satisfying! Your entire family will enjoy it!
Mexican Chicken And Rice Soup Recipe
This recipe for Mexican chicken and rice soup calls for uncomplicated ingredients.
- Cooked Chicken: Add rotisserie or poached chicken from the grocery store to this broth.
- Spanish Rice: We use this Rice for this soup (to keep it nutritious), but if you’re short on time, you can also use it or boxed Rice.
- Aromatics: This soup’s aroma comes from a delectable combination of onion, garlic, and jalapeno.
- Extra-virgin olive oil: We sauté the aromatics in extra-virgin olive oil.
- Tomatoes: We add diced Roma tomatoes to this soup to give it a hint of tomato flavor.
- Seasoning: This soup is seasoned with a small amount of powdered cumin.
- Broth: We use a low-sodium chicken broth to make this soup, but vegetable broth can be substituted if desired.
Ingredients Of Mexican Chicken And Rice Soup Recipe
- 2 1/2 quarts of poultry broth
- Whole, skin-on, bone-in poultry legs (drumsticks and thighs) weighing 2 pounds.
- 3 carrots chopped
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped coriander
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 1 tablespoon freshly cut mint
- salt and black pepper ground to flavor
- 3 cups cooked Rice
- 1 peeled and sliced avocado
- 2 minced serrano chiles
- 2 limes that have been quartered
Instruction To Make Mexican Chicken And Rice Soup
It is a straightforward recipe for Mexican chicken broth.
- Cook Spanish-style brown Rice: You can prepare the broth while your Spanish Rice cooks.
- Shred or mince the poultry: Set aside your chopped or shredded poached or store-bought rotisserie chicken.
- Sauté garlic and shallots: In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, sauté the onion for two to three minutes before adding the minced garlic and cooking for another minute.
- Tomatoes, chicken, and seasonings: Stir in the chicken shreds, chopped tomatoes, jalapeno slices, and cumin with the scallions.
- Add stock:
- Add chicken broth to the pan and simmer.
- Bring heat down to a simmer.
- Cover the container and simmer on low heat for thirty minutes. If you add 1/3 cup of lime juice, Take out the pan from the heat and whisk in the liquid.
- To serve: Place 1/4 cup of Spanish Brown Rice in each receptacle, and ladle soup on top.
- Garnish with: Each bowl of chicken rice broth should be liberally garnished with avocado, chopped cilantro, and lime wedges.
Tips For Making Chicken And Rice Soup
Here are the tips for making chicken rice soup recipe:
- Culinary preparation: Cook the Rice separately; do not add it to the broth while simmering. You should keep the Rice separate from the broth until just before serving.
- Assisting: To serve, place approximately 1/4 cup of Rice in each bowl, then ladle broth over Rice and garnish with wedges, cilantro, and lime avocado. You can also add the Rice to the soup just before serving, but be careful not to simmer the Rice in the broth, as the Rice will soak much of the broth, leaving you with a soup that is less brothy and less flavorful.
- The act of storing leftover broth: Refrigerate the Rice and soup separately in separate receptacles.
- Reheating broth leftovers: Add the Rice to the kettle during the last minute or two of reheating the soup, just long enough to heat the Rice through.
Serving Suggestions Of Chicken And Rice Soup
- It would help if you garnished this broth with avocado and cilantro.
- tortillas made from warm flour or maize
- Add some grated Jack cheese to the steaming containers of soup.
- Broken tortilla pieces are sprinkled on top of each bowl of soup.
Variations Of Chicken And Rice Soup
- The chicken: You can go right when deciding which poultry parts to use. Whether you use chicken breast (for a leaner option), thighs, or a combination of both, this recipe is delicious. As for how the chicken is prepared, you can use rotisserie or poached chicken, then chop or shred the flesh before adding it to the soup.
- Rice: This recipe calls for Spanish Brown Rice, but you could also substitute Spanish Rice (made with long-grain white Rice) or Spanish Quinoa. This soup is my favorite when made with brown Rice because not only do I prefer the texture, but it is also more nourishing and substantial. If you’re pressed for time, you can also use an excellent Spanish rice soup from a box. Be careful to prepare the Rice separately and not add it directly to the simmering soup.
- Vegetable stock: This recipe calls for low-sodium chicken broth, but you could easily replace vegetable broth.
- Jalapeno peppers: If you desire a spicier soup, you can modify the heat by simmering additional jalapeno slices (with or without seeds) in the broth as the soup cooks.
- Citrus juice: Add 1/3 cup of freshly squeezed lime juice to the soup just before serving, or serve the soup with lime segments so that each person can add as much lime juice as desired.
How To Store Leftover Mexico City-style Chicken And Rice Soup Recipe
Ensure that your soup has cooled to ambient temperature before storage. You can keep it in the pot with the lid on or transfer it to an airtight container. In the refrigerator, leftovers will last for three to four days.
To reheat soup, microwave it for 30 seconds until thoroughly heated. You can also reheat in a pot over medium heat on the cooktop. Add chicken broth or water if the Rice has absorbed too much liquid and the stock has become too thick.
Freshly made chicken rice broth in a Dutch oven.
Freezing/Ahead of Time
Whether you have leftovers or want to prepare this broth for future meals, it is an excellent option. You can freeze this broth in its original pot or transfer it to an airtight container. Ensure that your broth has completely cooled before placing it in the freezer. You can store it for three months in the freezer.
If you prepare the broth in advance, I recommend leaving the Rice until you reheat and cook it in the soup. It will prevent the Rice from losing its texture and falling apart after reheating.
Reheat the soup in the microwave while stirring frequently or in a vessel on the stove.
Chicken and rice soup in the manner of Mexico City is a flavorful and hearty dish embodying Mexican cuisine’s essence. This dish is comforting and nutritious with tender chicken, aromatic seasonings, and Rice. This recipe provides a delectable sample of the vibrant culinary traditions of Mexico City.
Thank you for reading…..