This mac and cheese recipe with a breadcrumb garnish is comforting and creamy. It’s simple to make the cheese sauce from scratch on the stove, beginning with a roux and adding milk, Cheddar, and Parmesan to create a sauce that permeates every crevice of the noodles.
Serve this macaroni and cheese casserole alongside grilled meats, sloppy Joes, fried poultry, or a salad for a meatless dinner.
Make macaroni and cheese from scratch rather than from a carton. This homemade macaroni and cheese will become your home’s dinner staple. Let’s begin with this incredible recipe!
Homemade Mac And Cheese Ingredients
Here are some observations on the ingredients and possible substitutions for this mac and cheese recipe:
1. Macaroni: I’ve used nearly every noodle variety imaginable to create this mac and cheese dish, and it’s always delicious. I prefer a noodle configuration (bowties, rotini, etc.) to spaghetti, but spaghetti will work if that’s all you have! You can also use free-of-gluten pasta, whole wheat pasta, chickpea pasta, etc.
2. Butter: There is no suitable substitute for butter in this recipe. However, either salted or unsalted can be used with excellent results.
3. All-Purpose Flour: There are several substitutes for all-purpose flour that work well, including maize starch, tapioca starch/flour, and all-purpose gluten-free flour. Whole wheat flour imparts a wheat flavor to this mac and cheese recipe, so I do not recommend it.
4. Milk: Any liquid dairy product works well in this recipe. Remember that the higher the fat material, the creamier your homemade macaroni and cheese will be, so fat-free milk is not recommended. Using 2% milk, whole milk, half-and-half, and Cream is acceptable. My preference is for whole milk!
Sour Cream: I have successfully substituted Greek yogurt for sour Cream with excellent results. My family cannot distinguish between sour Cream and Greek yogurt when I make this dish. Sure, you could use a low-fat version of either of these ingredients, but the final product would lose its creaminess.
5. Cheese: The cheese quality used in this homemade macaroni and cheese recipe is crucial. If you wouldn’t consume it on its own, don’t add it to macaroni and cheese! I recommend a high-quality mild to sharp cheddar cheese for the finest flavor.
6. Salt and Pepper: Add these ingredients to taste!
7. Garlic powder: This ingredient is optional, but it lends a hint of flavor that elevates this mac and cheese recipe without making it unpalatable to children. Adjust the quantity to your family’s preferences!
- Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Servings: 4
How To Prepare Mac And Cheese?
Here are the steps to prepare mac and cheese:
Step 1: Boil Macaroni
Bring water to a boil in a vessel. Cook elbow macaroni for eight minutes or until al dente.
For a thicker macaroni and cheese, increase the quantity of macaroni by two.
Step 2: Make a Roux
While the macaroni is simmering, begin preparing the roux. This creamy macaroni and cheese base is a roux, a thickening agent composed of one part oil and one part flour.
To create the roux:
- Melt butter over a medium-high flame in a saucepan.
- Mix in the flour, pepper, and salt until homogeneous.
- Pour the milk gradually and stir until the mixture is smooth and frothing.
- Be cautious not to allow the milk to burn.
Step 3: Add Cheese and Macaroni
The final and most crucial step is to add cheese! Slowly incorporate Cheddar cheese until melted and creamy. We advise you to grate your cheese, as pre-shredded cheese will not mix as well as block cheese.
Once the macaroni is cooked, strain and toss with cheese sauce until evenly coated.
Can You Bake This Mac And Cheese?
This mac and cheese is all about convenience for the stovetop, but you can bake it if you have the time and desire for bubbling, baked mac and cheese.
To do so, complete the above three stages and add any desired toppings, including bread crumbs, Parmesan, crushed crackers, etc. Bake 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 degrees Celsius) for approximately 15 minutes or until frothing and golden brown.
How To Store Mac And Cheese?
Refrigerate leftover macaroni and cheese in an airtight container for three to four days. Pour a dash of milk or Cream to reheat in the microwave or stovetop while stirring intermittently.
You can freeze Mac and cheese for up to six months. Once the macaroni and cheese has cooled completely, please place it in a freezer-safe container and remove as much air as possible. Date the food and refrigerate it. When ready to serve, relocate the dish to the refrigerator overnight to defrost—reheat as instructed.
How To Reheat Mac And Cheese?
Allow the remainder to cool to room temperature. Transfer to a secure container and store for up to four days in the refrigerator.
You can reheat the handmade macaroni and cheese in the oven or microwave. If you are concerned about it drying out over reheating, add a teaspoon or two of milk.
Can You Freeze Mac And Cheese?
You can freeze homemade macaroni and cheese if you do not consume it within four days. Transfer your leftovers to serving-size freezer containers with zip-top closures.
Wrap each container in aluminum foil and freeze them flat for up to six months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
Cooking pasta and preparing a cheese sauce with butter, milk, and grated cheese are required to make mac and cheese from scratch. It is a versatile and satisfying dish you can customize with different cheeses and seasonings to create a beloved homemade comfort food.
Thank you for reading…..